Wednesday, January 23, 2008

18. Prefab Homes, Can You Do It?


prefabricated homes, often referred to as prefab homes, are dwellings manufactured off-site in advance, usually in standard sections that can be easily shipped and assembled. many of the current prefab home designs on the market have jovial, eclectic elements of postmodernism or the clean, simple lines of futurism.

the word "Prefab" is not an industry term like modular home, manufactured home, panelized home, or site-built home. the term is an amalgamation of panelized and modular building systems, and can mean either one. in today's usage the term "Prefab" is more closely related to the style of home, usually modernist, rather than to a particular method of home construction.



could you do it?

5 comments:

blah said...

DY would love to do one - they're pretty funky these days!!

Michelle said...

Hi Jenn Lee......

I have tagged you, I really hope you dont mind....please see my 'I've been tagged' on my blog.

Michelle

Richie Designs said...

totally would do it...if real estate in LA wasn't so crazy expensive. Someone would have to give me a plot of land for me to afford anything.

property tax alone would kill me!

Mark Cutler said...

there are some amazing new Prefab homes..... I would totally get one.

Alkemie said...

This is a really great example of a prefab home. They've come really far with prefab homes. I think if I was really into ultra modern design, I could live in one...