Monday, February 18, 2008

40. Happy Family Day Torontonians!

Family Day: The holiday that isn't really a holiday

for all of us in toronto, ontario, today is a holiday that isn't really a holiday. our very first family day, stat holiday.
i'm sitting in front of my laptop at home today with my husband on one computer and my brother on another looking for books to start our book club off with. beats sitting in the office anyday! but it's too bad that this holiday has already taken on a bit of tarnish. as stated in the Star today ...

"Family Day is turning out to be a logistical nightmare for many, and it isn't even panning out as a universal holiday for everyone in Ontario.

Instead of a province at leisure, as Premier Dalton McGuinty promised during the provincial election campaign last fall, an estimated 40 per cent of us will be reporting to work first thing Monday morning, trudging through more snow and sleet while the other 60 per cent, including our neighbours and friends, stay home in their flannel pyjamas doing battle with their kids for time on the computer.

But as McGuinty himself noted, it is our first Family Day holiday, and perhaps there are a few wrinkles that still need ironing out.

wrinkle out the bumps Premier, i'm going to enjoy my day at home and i suggest you all do the same too torontonians! Happy Family Day!


Jessica Claire said...

I literally booked my flight to Miami the second the press release was sent out about Dalton's plan for family day, haha

I hope you enjoyed your day off!

massi said...

Hey!!! Hasn't finished yet your family day????
Did you have a good time?